Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default So easily over looked

It's so easy to overlook the beauty of trees and shrubs by not looking
closer.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psad3419fb.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb817aa65.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbf723dc5.jpg

David
Old 13-04-2014, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-12 21:08:24 +0000, David Hill said:

It's so easy to overlook the beauty of trees and shrubs by not looking closer.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psad3419fb.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb817aa65.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbf723dc5.jpg

David

Beautiful. The colours of that chestnut are stupendous.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-04-2014, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
It's so easy to overlook the beauty of trees and shrubs by
not looking closer.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psad3419fb.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb817aa65.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbf723dc5.jpg

David

Too right, Mate. In my garden every day I see some small
thing that is a delight but which would usually pass
unnoticed. Two bees bonking on the grass. A small unusual
mushroom. A seedling that I thought I had lost the parent
of, appearing a few yards away. Some tadpoles that I
thought were gone. Every day there is some new thing.
Hurrah for Spring!

s.

Old 16-04-2014, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/04/2014 22:08, David Hill wrote:
It's so easy to overlook the beauty of trees and shrubs by not looking
closer.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psad3419fb.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psb817aa65.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbf723dc5.jpg

David

Lovely pics, David, well done! I'm an ardent tree lover and watcher, so
I do look closely at trees, and plant them.

However, I have to confess to a crime somewhere between mass genocide
and wanton deforestation, as I've pulled up hundreds of Sycamore
seedlings. If I didn't, there would soon be nothing else in my garden.
I do have a couple of so-far well-behaved Acers, though, in mitigation.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 16-04-2014, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:38:58 +0100, Spider wrote:

wanton deforestation, as I've pulled up hundreds of Sycamore seedlings.
If I didn't, there would soon be nothing else in my garden.

I know what you mean! It's quite a year for sycamore germination. I've
offed thousands, either mowed or pulled up. I do try and check for
variegations, but sometimes wholesale slaughter is the best option!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 17-04-2014, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2014 23:12, Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:38:58 +0100, Spider wrote:

wanton deforestation, as I've pulled up hundreds of Sycamore seedlings.
If I didn't, there would soon be nothing else in my garden.

I know what you mean! It's quite a year for sycamore germination. I've
offed thousands, either mowed or pulled up. I do try and check for
variegations, but sometimes wholesale slaughter is the best option!

Yes, I started looking for variegations or special leaf formations, but
have found it's easier to pull them up before the true leaves appear, if
I can. It means I waste a lot of time early in the season when I would
rather be doing something else. Frustrating, but it has to be done.
It's nice to know I'm not doing it alone.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 17-04-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2014 12:20, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:13:14 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 16/04/2014 23:12, Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:38:58 +0100, Spider wrote:

wanton deforestation, as I've pulled up hundreds of Sycamore seedlings.
If I didn't, there would soon be nothing else in my garden.

I know what you mean! It's quite a year for sycamore germination. I've
offed thousands, either mowed or pulled up. I do try and check for
variegations, but sometimes wholesale slaughter is the best option!

Yes, I started looking for variegations or special leaf formations, but
have found it's easier to pull them up before the true leaves appear, if
I can. It means I waste a lot of time early in the season when I would
rather be doing something else. Frustrating, but it has to be done.
It's nice to know I'm not doing it alone.

I put one in a flower pot which I put in the garden in 1985. I suspect the pot
has finally broken, as the sycamore has reached about 6' high in the last couple
of years.

I suspect it's done neither the pot nor the tree much good, but at least
the tree is still alive.

I've got a horse chestnut in a pot, plus three birches and a rowan, all
of which I intend to plant at some point. The horse chestnut has had a
bit of, er, surgery, because I don't want it too big. I'm hoping to
grow it coppiced in the manner of a Pawlonia in order to gain large
leaves. I would love it to flower, but I think I've written that off by
lopping it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 17-04-2014, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:32:46 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 17/04/2014 12:20, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:13:14 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 16/04/2014 23:12, Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:38:58 +0100, Spider wrote:

wanton deforestation, as I've pulled up hundreds of Sycamore
seedlings.
If I didn't, there would soon be nothing else in my garden.

I know what you mean! It's quite a year for sycamore germination. I've
offed thousands, either mowed or pulled up. I do try and check for
variegations, but sometimes wholesale slaughter is the best option!

I've just pulled thousand out of my gutters!

Mike