Old 17-04-2014, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Waiting 28 years for shrub to flower...

On 2014-04-17 15:09:43 +0000, rbel said:

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:53:48 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-04-17 13:00:22 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 17/04/2014 13:11, rbel wrote:
....http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

--
rbel

Shouldn't it grow more than 10 ft high in 28 years? Sounds like the
growing conditions aren't quite right. Also, from the photo, it seems
to be in rather bright sunlight - as far as I remember, the R.
sinogrande I have seen have all been in more shady conditions.

Plant World is fairly high above Newton Abbot, almost at the top of a
hill, so it's probably quite windy and exposed. I don't know if that
would make a big difference to flowering time or conditions?

From memory it is a similar height to us at around 160 metres, but a
bit further inland. Little in the way of frost and as it is on the
eastern facing slope and the prevailing winds are from the south west
so he is quite sheltered for much of the time which is why he is able
to grow quite tender stuff.

He's high above but facing the River Teign. I used to live in a village
in a valley below him and not far from the Teign. In fact, it was
called Stokeinteignhead. One end of the village was a martyr to frost,
the other got away more lightly but not scotfree. I have no idea how
it is at Plant World but if we see Ray Brown soon or go over there at
any time, I'll try to remember to ask about frost. I would think you're
probably correct about his growing conditions though the approach is
quite open from the wind pov.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com