Old 17-04-2014, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Waiting 28 years for shrub to flower...

....http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html
--
rbel
Old 17-04-2014, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:11:05 +0100, rbel wrote:

...http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

The dots stop your link working.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 17-04-2014, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/04/2014 13:11, rbel wrote:
....http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html
--
rbel

Shouldn't it grow more than 10 ft high in 28 years? Sounds like the
growing conditions aren't quite right. Also, from the photo, it seems
to be in rather bright sunlight - as far as I remember, the R.
sinogrande I have seen have all been in more shady conditions.

--

Jeff
Old 17-04-2014, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-17 13:00:22 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 17/04/2014 13:11, rbel wrote:
....http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

--
rbel

Shouldn't it grow more than 10 ft high in 28 years? Sounds like the
growing conditions aren't quite right. Also, from the photo, it seems
to be in rather bright sunlight - as far as I remember, the R.
sinogrande I have seen have all been in more shady conditions.

Plant World is fairly high above Newton Abbot, almost at the top of a
hill, so it's probably quite windy and exposed. I don't know if that
would make a big difference to flowering time or conditions?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-04-2014, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:53:48 +0100, Sacha

On 2014-04-17 13:00:22 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 17/04/2014 13:11, rbel wrote:
....http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

--
rbel

Shouldn't it grow more than 10 ft high in 28 years? Sounds like the
growing conditions aren't quite right. Also, from the photo, it seems
to be in rather bright sunlight - as far as I remember, the R.
sinogrande I have seen have all been in more shady conditions.

Plant World is fairly high above Newton Abbot, almost at the top of a
hill, so it's probably quite windy and exposed. I don't know if that
would make a big difference to flowering time or conditions?

From memory it is a similar height to us at around 160 metres, but a
bit further inland. Little in the way of frost and as it is on the
eastern facing slope and the prevailing winds are from the south west
so he is quite sheltered for much of the time which is why he is able
to grow quite tender stuff.
--
rbel

Old 17-04-2014, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-04-17 13:00:22 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

On 17/04/2014 13:11, rbel wrote:
....http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

--
rbel

Shouldn't it grow more than 10 ft high in 28 years? Sounds like the
growing conditions aren't quite right. Also, from the photo, it seems
to be in rather bright sunlight - as far as I remember, the R.
sinogrande I have seen have all been in more shady conditions.

Plant World is fairly high above Newton Abbot, almost at the top of a
hill, so it's probably quite windy and exposed. I don't know if that
would make a big difference to flowering time or conditions?

From memory it is a similar height to us at around 160 metres, but a
bit further inland. Little in the way of frost and as it is on the
eastern facing slope and the prevailing winds are from the south west
so he is quite sheltered for much of the time which is why he is able
to grow quite tender stuff.

He's high above but facing the River Teign. I used to live in a village
in a valley below him and not far from the Teign. In fact, it was
called Stokeinteignhead. One end of the village was a martyr to frost,
the other got away more lightly but not scotfree. I have no idea how
it is at Plant World but if we see Ray Brown soon or go over there at
any time, I'll try to remember to ask about frost. I would think you're
probably correct about his growing conditions though the approach is
quite open from the wind pov.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-04-2014, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:11:05 +0100, rbel wrote:

[link]

Beautiful leaves even on their own, though.

Here Acer sterculiaceum ssp sterculiaceum, another Himalayan plant, also
bloomed for the first time this year. Unfortunately this reveals it as
male, but such is chance! I don't know about Rhodos, but maples set
flowers in fall; so the winter probably doesn't have much to do with it.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 18-04-2014, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"rbel" wrote

...http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

I waited longer than that for a cactus to flower and then it flowered when I
was away! Luckily it's flowered every year since.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-04-2014, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 09:10, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:11:05 +0100, rbel wrote:

[link]

Beautiful leaves even on their own, though.

Here Acer sterculiaceum ssp sterculiaceum, another Himalayan plant, also
bloomed for the first time this year. Unfortunately this reveals it as
male, but such is chance! I don't know about Rhodos, but maples set
flowers in fall; so the winter probably doesn't have much to do with it.

I think that's true of many spring-flowering plants. Most certainly R.
yakushimanum and other rhodos have fat flower buds ready to overwinter
by late October.

--

Jeff
Old 18-04-2014, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 09:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
"rbel" wrote

...http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

I waited longer than that for a cactus to flower and then it flowered when I
was away! Luckily it's flowered every year since.

Which one, Bob? I waited about 30 years for Cochemia poselgeri. It
flowered once in 2009, but not since (under the same conditions). I
still don't know why it flowered!

--

Jeff

Old 18-04-2014, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote t...

Bob Hobden wrote:
I waited longer than that for a cactus to flower and then it flowered
when I
was away! Luckily it's flowered every year since.

Which one, Bob? I waited about 30 years for Cochemia poselgeri. It
flowered once in 2009, but not since (under the same conditions). I still
don't know why it flowered!

Not being into cacti goodness knows which it is, I did ask here but no-one
could ID it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7626703667192/
It was given to me by an elderly lady probably 40+ years ago because it had
never flowered for her.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-04-2014, 04:38 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Jeff Layman" wrote t...[color=blue][i]

Not being into cacti goodness knows which it is, I did ask here but no-one
could ID it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhob...7626703667192/
It was given to me by an elderly lady probably 40+ years ago because it had
never flowered for her.
Are you sure we didn't id it? It's an Echinopsis (which now includes Lobivia) - I'm sure we'd have got that far, even if we didn't get the species.Not everyone accepts the merging of the genera, so in old terms, it's on the Lobivia side.