Old 20-04-2014, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Planting Seeds

I've been growing veggies from seed for well over 40 years, so
never really bother to read the instructions on the seed
packets (except perhaps for a guide to the depth of planting).
However idly looking through some this week, I noticed that I
am supposed to "pre-water" the soil - Why???

I've always preferred to plant in dryish soil, when you can
hand close and firm the row and even move some of the seed that
has fallen out of line in necessay. Giving the soil a good
watering after palnting and firming if rain is not immenent.

Is there any science in this wet soil method?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales