Old 24-04-2014, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Winters_Lackey Winters_Lackey is offline

Default Community orchard

I got an email earlier from the woman who works for the city, and who is
in charge of our community garden. It is as follows:
---------------------------

Ok – well I don’t want to get your hopes up too much but I think the
City may be planting a few fruit trees this year! The only requirement
is that we need to make sure there are not a lot of dropped fruit that
will draw in critters. I’m not sure what kind just yet though…

Bryan, might you be in charge of something like this since you’ve been
longing for fruit trees for so long? You can help gather some other
gardeners to help to make sure we don’t draw any unwanted critters! If
it becomes a problem, the city said they will not hesitate to remove
them! Just a heads up! But I think this is very exciting and can’t
wait to see it put in place! We will be one of the first cities to have
our own mini city orchard. :-D

Thanks!

Mary

-------------------------

I replied:
-------------------------

That rocks. Where? Lindbergh Park? One way to avoid dropped fruit is
to plant only dwarf or semi-dwarf trees. These two apple trees are
perfect because they are semi-dwarf, and resistant to cedar rust, which
is a huge problem around here. They are good pollinators for each
other, and the apples ripen 3-4 weeks apart.

Freedom Apple from Stark Bro's

image

Freedom Apple from Stark Bro's
Exceptional disease resistance! Easy-care tree ideal for areas with
apple scab, powdery mildew, and fire blight issues. This vigorous tree
has a...

View on www.starkbros.com

Preview by Yahoo

Liberty Apple from Stark Bro's

image

Liberty Apple from Stark Bro's
A prolific bearer that excels where McIntosh won't. Tree is low-
maintenance due to its resistance to apple scab, cedar apple rust, fire
blight, and...

View on www.starkbros.com

One thing to avoid is pears. They attract wasps and yellowjackets.

This apricot is on a today only special for $14.99, as is the peach.
Wilson Delicious Apricot from Stark Bro's

image

Wilson Delicious Apricot from Stark Bro's
Our best all-purpose apricot. One of the heaviest bearing varieties,
this tree will yield impressive crops every year. Firm, luscious,
golden...

View on www.starkbros.com

Reliance Peach from Stark Bro's

image

Reliance Peach from Stark Bro's
Our most cold-hardy peach. Originally developed in New Hampshire, this
tree produces a heavy crop of fruit as far north as Canada, even after
frigid...

View on www.starkbros.com

And Mary, I will personally make sure that there will be no problems
with dropped fruit. Glendale has had no problems with the peach and
apple trees planted in the median of Lockwood, just east of Sappington.

--Bryan
------------------------------

To Me
Today at 3:52 PM
Yes it would be at Lindbergh park. Can I ask a favor? Might you be able
to make some markings of where a good place would be near the garden
without blocking sunlight of course that would be good to plant the
trees? I'd mark maybe 6 spots as I'm not sure how many they are
thinking? You could just mark it with rocks or sticks or something? Do
you mind? You prob have an idea already where they'd work well. I
forwarded your email below so hopefully they will go with your
recommendations.
------------------------------

To Mary
Today at 4:34 PM
There are six stakes in the ground to the north-northwest of the garden
enclosure.

--Bryan

We are going to have a community orchard! I've been trying to make this
happen for 3 or 4 years.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."