Old 25-04-2014, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Community orchard

Winters_Lackey wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in news:ljc6nc$d60$1
@news.albasani.net:

One way to avoid dropped fruit
is to plant only dwarf or semi-dwarf trees. These two apple trees
are perfect because they are semi-dwarf, and resistant to cedar
rust, which is a huge problem around here. They are good
pollinators for each other, and the apples ripen 3-4 weeks apart.

How does having semi-dwarf trees avoid dropped fruit?

People can reach to pick the fruit before it falls.

So this community will have the equipment and energy to manage the fruit
trees through the year ( watering, fertilising, spraying and pruning as
required) but cannot find a ladder at harvest time. Seems odd.

:-)) It does, but then 'the city' sounds particularly dozy.

That para about the requirement from 'the city' to not have a lot of
dropped fruiting in case it draws in 'critters' just beggars belief.
Whoever put that stricture in place needs to get out more and, at the
very least, find out what lives down their drains. I've seen estimates
that no human on earth is ever more than 15 ft from a rat and that came
as no surprise to me whatsoever. And rats are only one sort of critter.
I haven't mentioned any critters with only 2 legs.