Old 25-04-2014, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Winters_Lackey Winters_Lackey is offline

Default Community orchard

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in news:ljcikg$htm$1
@news.albasani.net:

Winters_Lackey wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in news:ljc6nc$d60$1
@news.albasani.net:

One way to avoid dropped fruit
is to plant only dwarf or semi-dwarf trees. These two apple trees
are perfect because they are semi-dwarf, and resistant to cedar
rust, which is a huge problem around here. They are good
pollinators for each other, and the apples ripen 3-4 weeks apart.

How does having semi-dwarf trees avoid dropped fruit?

People can reach to pick the fruit before it falls.

So this community will have the equipment and energy to manage the fruit
trees through the year ( watering, fertilising, spraying and pruning as
required) but cannot find a ladder at harvest time. Seems odd.

David, the members of the community garden will water and fertilize, and
the cultivars suggested shouldn't require spraying. These trees are
intended to be browsed by anyone using the park. The concept is expansive.
Families with young children can lift their little ones up to pluck a
fruit. My wife is upset by the fact that our raised bed gardens are
enclosed by a fence, but the fruit trees will be for everyone. What a joy
for a child to eat fruit directly from the tree.

Urban agriculture builds community. We grow flowers in our front yards,
and that's not only for our own enjoyment, but to beautify the experience
of anyone who walks past. It's not just about prestige, but about sharing
beauty.

Ideally, these fruit trees should be a place where neighbors meet neighbors
that they wouldn't otherwise speak to. It's easy to share a smile with a
stranger when you're both munching on apples picked fron the same tree.

--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009