Old 25-04-2014, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default The stench of good(?) compost

"Another John" wrote in message
]...

I've bought some of that there "100% recycled garden compost" -- i.e.
the stuff that is made from council waste collections. I've bought it
for improving the soil in a corner of our garden (NOT for any greenhouse
work!).

Having opened a bag, I find it *looks* very good. However it does smell
like part of the process is running it through the sewers! Does anyone
know if this smell dissipates pretty quickly? Or slowly? Or never?

Cheers
John

Are you aware that the 'dried sludge' from the sewerage works is also
incorporated into this 'recycled compost'? I discovered this when I was
invited to be shown over the 'new ultra modern' local sewerage works and
system.

Much better to make your own compost, and if your neighbours don't want to
compost their garden waste, as one of ours doesn't, grab their stuff as
well.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk