Old 25-04-2014, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The stench of good(?) compost

I've bought some of that there "100% recycled garden compost" -- i.e.
the stuff that is made from council waste collections. I've bought it
for improving the soil in a corner of our garden (NOT for any greenhouse
work!).

Having opened a bag, I find it *looks* very good. However it does smell
like part of the process is running it through the sewers! Does anyone
know if this smell dissipates pretty quickly? Or slowly? Or never?

Cheers
John
Old 25-04-2014, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/2014 15:38, Another John wrote:
I've bought some of that there "100% recycled garden compost" -- i.e.
the stuff that is made from council waste collections. I've bought it
for improving the soil in a corner of our garden (NOT for any greenhouse
work!).

Having opened a bag, I find it *looks* very good. However it does smell
like part of the process is running it through the sewers! Does anyone
know if this smell dissipates pretty quickly? Or slowly? Or never?

Cheers
John

I have a bag with this type of compost in it. I used it yesterday, but
didn't detect any odour. Mind you, I only have a part-time nose :~(.
When it stops raining, I will pop outside and have a sniff.
I would have thought that any smell would dissipate, just as it would in
a traditional compost heap when 'ready'.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 25-04-2014, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/2014 16:22, Spider wrote:
[...]

Those Gro Bags also smell pretty foul as I recall
Old 25-04-2014, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
]...

I've bought some of that there "100% recycled garden compost" -- i.e.
the stuff that is made from council waste collections. I've bought it
for improving the soil in a corner of our garden (NOT for any greenhouse
work!).

Having opened a bag, I find it *looks* very good. However it does smell
like part of the process is running it through the sewers! Does anyone
know if this smell dissipates pretty quickly? Or slowly? Or never?

Cheers
John

Are you aware that the 'dried sludge' from the sewerage works is also
incorporated into this 'recycled compost'? I discovered this when I was
invited to be shown over the 'new ultra modern' local sewerage works and
system.

Much better to make your own compost, and if your neighbours don't want to
compost their garden waste, as one of ours doesn't, grab their stuff as
well.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

Old 25-04-2014, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

Are you aware that the 'dried sludge' from the sewerage works is also
incorporated into this 'recycled compost'?

That explains the smell -- I had guessed as much! I don't mind (it's all
good stuff), AS LONG as the smell dissipates.

The stuff is made to "BSI PAS100", and you can get a description of this
if you register --
http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/bsi-pas-100-compost-specification How
quaint! What is the reason for that? I didn't register so haven't seen
the description.

Much better to make your own compost, and if your neighbours don't want to
compost their garden waste, as one of ours doesn't, grab their stuff as
well.

I do -- have done for as long as we've had a garden. (There isn't a
variation for making it that I haven't tried in those 40 years.) However
my heaps are never big enough to do the kind of job I need to do now --
they just provide a minor top dressing for favoured parts of the
borders, whereas I'm setting about restructuring the soil in a part of
the garden.

J.

Old 26-04-2014, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2014 09:37, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 16:22:22 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 25/04/2014 15:38, Another John wrote:
I've bought some of that there "100% recycled garden compost" -- i.e.
the stuff that is made from council waste collections. I've bought it
for improving the soil in a corner of our garden (NOT for any greenhouse
work!).

Having opened a bag, I find it *looks* very good. However it does smell
like part of the process is running it through the sewers! Does anyone
know if this smell dissipates pretty quickly? Or slowly? Or never?

Cheers
John

I have a bag with this type of compost in it. I used it yesterday, but
didn't detect any odour. Mind you, I only have a part-time nose :~(.

LOL

When it stops raining,

We had a fantastic thunderstorm yesterday evening.

I will pop outside and have a sniff.
I would have thought that any smell would dissipate, just as it would in
a traditional compost heap when 'ready'.

We noticed that the compost used on Beechgrove this week was full of twigs and
bits of stuff that hadn't broken down in the composting process.

Mine was also a bit twiggy and rough in places - the compost, not the
nose. Apparently, I also have a part-time brain because I forgot to
sniff the compost today. Must do that tomorrow before it rains.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London