Old 25-04-2014, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default The stench of good(?) compost

In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

Are you aware that the 'dried sludge' from the sewerage works is also
incorporated into this 'recycled compost'?

That explains the smell -- I had guessed as much! I don't mind (it's all
good stuff), AS LONG as the smell dissipates.

The stuff is made to "BSI PAS100", and you can get a description of this
if you register --
http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/bsi-pas-100-compost-specification How
quaint! What is the reason for that? I didn't register so haven't seen
the description.

Much better to make your own compost, and if your neighbours don't want to
compost their garden waste, as one of ours doesn't, grab their stuff as
well.

I do -- have done for as long as we've had a garden. (There isn't a
variation for making it that I haven't tried in those 40 years.) However
my heaps are never big enough to do the kind of job I need to do now --
they just provide a minor top dressing for favoured parts of the
borders, whereas I'm setting about restructuring the soil in a part of
the garden.

J.