Old 27-04-2014, 08:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Community orchard

On 27/04/2014 6:58 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 25/04/2014 9:56 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
That para about the requirement from 'the city' to not have a lot of
dropped fruiting in case it draws in 'critters' just beggars belief.
Whoever put that stricture in place needs to get out more and, at
the very least, find out what lives down their drains. I've seen
estimates that no human on earth is ever more than 15 ft from a rat
and that came as no surprise to me whatsoever. And rats are only
one sort of critter. I haven't mentioned any critters with only 2
legs.

I'd have to disagree with that 15 feet statement ... I live out
in the country , and we have a lot of critters , but AFAIK there are
no rats out here . Perhaps on some of the nearby farms where they
store large quantities of grain and feed , but we have none of those
here in The Holler ...

Ya wanna bet?

I've lived in the country for 50 years and know that there are many
rats and mice in the country and there will be rats and mice where
you live too.

Well , if they're here they're staying well hideen indeed .

They do that. Rats are very, very shy. Over the last 10 or even 15
years I've only ever seen one live one during the day and I wage
constant war against them.

I have seen no
sign of any kind that rats are present . And they do leave signs of their
presence . You do realize that I live way out in the woods ?

Why would you think that living in the woods means no rats nearby?
The only known rat free areas of the world are the Arctic and the
Antarctic (no food in those places) and some island conservation areas
(because serious money has been spent on ensuring they are made rat free).

Rats eat anything and everything including eggs seeds, grains, insects
and even molluscs. Unless your woods glow in the dark and kill
everything that lives in them in a short span of time, then your woods
would provide lots of good food for rats. Presumably since you are
posting in a gardening newsgroup then you also have a garden and that
too would give lots of food for rats.