Old 27-04-2014, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] pluttero@gmail.com is offline

Default tree identification

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:05:34 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Hello,

I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0791.JPG

Many thanks,

Paolo

Hello,
thanks everybody for your answers.
My idea was about some kind of fir (Abies alba ?).
I would discard the Sequoia option, since the bark looks quite different, moreover the tree (sorry I forgot to mention) is in Italy, where sequoia I think are quite uncommon.
The cedar theory instead, put me in doubts: looking at some pictures online, I should say it is very similar...
So, how can I distinguish between a cedar and a fir ? Sorry for my incompetence, but I am just starting to work in my garden
Anyway I would not plant the new tree exactly in the same place (close by there is a persimmon tree, which grew up a lot, so the new tree would have little sun exposure).
Thanks,
Paolo