Old 27-04-2014, 11:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default tree identification

Hello,
I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0791.JPG
Many thanks,
Paolo

Old 27-04-2014, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0791.JPG

Many thanks,

Paolo

Looks like a spruce tree... not dying, already dead.
Old 27-04-2014, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/27/2014 6:54 AM, wrote:
Here is a detail about foliage
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0790.JPG
Thanks

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:05:34 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Hello,

I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0791.JPG

Many thanks,

Paolo

From the first photo, I thought it might be some species of cedar
(perhaps Cedrus deodara). However, the foliage makes me think of coast
redwood (Sequoia sempervirens).

Before replacing your dead tree, it would be a good idea to find out why
it died. Otherwise, you risk having another dead tree.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 27-04-2014, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 8:08:41 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/27/2014 6:54 AM, wrote:

Here is a detail about foliage

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0790.JPG

Thanks

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:05:34 PM UTC+2, wrote:

Hello,

I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0791.JPG

Many thanks,

Paolo

From the first photo, I thought it might be some species of cedar

(perhaps Cedrus deodara). However, the foliage makes me think of coast

redwood (Sequoia sempervirens).

Before replacing your dead tree, it would be a good idea to find out why

it died. Otherwise, you risk having another dead tree.

Agree. Do you have to plant new tree in same place? Who knows what got into the soil. Can you plant ub new spot? Before investing time, $$ and hope, maybe check with an arborist familiar with your area.

HB

Old 27-04-2014, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:05:34 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Hello,

I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0791.JPG

Many thanks,

Paolo

Hello,
thanks everybody for your answers.
My idea was about some kind of fir (Abies alba ?).
I would discard the Sequoia option, since the bark looks quite different, moreover the tree (sorry I forgot to mention) is in Italy, where sequoia I think are quite uncommon.
The cedar theory instead, put me in doubts: looking at some pictures online, I should say it is very similar...
So, how can I distinguish between a cedar and a fir ? Sorry for my incompetence, but I am just starting to work in my garden
Anyway I would not plant the new tree exactly in the same place (close by there is a persimmon tree, which grew up a lot, so the new tree would have little sun exposure).
Thanks,
Paolo
Old 28-04-2014, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/27/2014 3:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

The general form in the first photo resembles a cedar, but the foliage
in the second photo shows that it is definitely NOT a cedar.

From the illustrations in my favorite garden book, it could indeed be a
fir (Abies); but it could also be a spruce (Picea). If the tree ever
had cones, the distinction is easy. Fir cones point up, and spruce
cones point down.

Unless you are in the mountains, I think the climate in Italy is not
appropriate for either fir or spruce. I never see either growing where
I live, which has a climate similar to coastal Italy. I do see many
cedars. Redwoods do grow here, but they struggle.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

[IMG] code is On

Any Tree Experts?? Tree Identification Question?? MICHELLE H. Gardening 5 02-12-2009 10:01 PM
Tree Identification Chip G. Lawns 4 11-07-2003 09:24 PM
Help - Tree Identification (picts included) Scott Gardening 3 10-06-2003 03:08 AM
[IBC] Tree Identification Sean Nemecek Bonsai 5 25-05-2003 09:20 PM
Identification of pine tree from photo David Jones alt.forestry 1 05-03-2003 07:56 PM