Old 28-04-2014, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default tree identification

On 4/27/2014 3:13 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:05:34 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Hello,

I need to identify this tree (unfortunately dying) in order to replace it with a new one of the same species.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/DSCN0791.JPG

Many thanks,

Paolo

Hello,
thanks everybody for your answers.
My idea was about some kind of fir (Abies alba ?).
I would discard the Sequoia option, since the bark looks quite different, moreover the tree (sorry I forgot to mention) is in Italy, where sequoia I think are quite uncommon.
The cedar theory instead, put me in doubts: looking at some pictures online, I should say it is very similar...
So, how can I distinguish between a cedar and a fir ? Sorry for my incompetence, but I am just starting to work in my garden
Anyway I would not plant the new tree exactly in the same place (close by there is a persimmon tree, which grew up a lot, so the new tree would have little sun exposure).
Thanks,
Paolo

The general form in the first photo resembles a cedar, but the foliage
in the second photo shows that it is definitely NOT a cedar.

From the illustrations in my favorite garden book, it could indeed be a
fir (Abies); but it could also be a spruce (Picea). If the tree ever
had cones, the distinction is easy. Fir cones point up, and spruce
cones point down.

Unless you are in the mountains, I think the climate in Italy is not
appropriate for either fir or spruce. I never see either growing where
I live, which has a climate similar to coastal Italy. I do see many
cedars. Redwoods do grow here, but they struggle.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see