Old 30-04-2014, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea paniculata

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I bought one this spring, but the snails have eaten all of the
buds right down to the old wood :-( What are the chances of
it surviving?

Fairly good but you won't get any flowers this year.

That's good news!

It is rather slow when small but once it gets going quite vigorous but
needs tying in once it gets above about 6' or it falls off the wall!

It's in the open - I shall be pruning it as an upright shrub,
and perhaps staking, if it survives.

I have now watered with Slugclear, and covered with a tent
of carrot fly net, but it may be too late.

You may not approve of them but a ring of slug pellets at the base will
probably be most effective protection. Main thing is don't let it get
too dry for the first year after that if can take care of itself.

In my experience, they are more decorative than useful - my slugs
and snails tend to ignore them :-(

I confess I am surprised that snails can eat it so completely.

So was I :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.