Old 30-04-2014, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea paniculata

I bought one this spring, but the snails have eaten all of the
buds right down to the old wood :-( What are the chances of
it surviving?

I have now watered with Slugclear, and covered with a tent
of carrot fly net, but it may be too late.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2014, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2014 19:00, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I bought one this spring, but the snails have eaten all of the
buds right down to the old wood :-( What are the chances of
it surviving?

Fairly good but you won't get any flowers this year.

It is rather slow when small but once it gets going quite vigorous but
needs tying in once it gets above about 6' or it falls off the wall!

I have now watered with Slugclear, and covered with a tent
of carrot fly net, but it may be too late.

You may not approve of them but a ring of slug pellets at the base will
probably be most effective protection. Main thing is don't let it get
too dry for the first year after that if can take care of itself.

I confess I am surprised that snails can eat it so completely.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-04-2014, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I bought one this spring, but the snails have eaten all of the
buds right down to the old wood :-( What are the chances of
it surviving?

Fairly good but you won't get any flowers this year.

That's good news!

It is rather slow when small but once it gets going quite vigorous but
needs tying in once it gets above about 6' or it falls off the wall!

It's in the open - I shall be pruning it as an upright shrub,
and perhaps staking, if it survives.

I have now watered with Slugclear, and covered with a tent
of carrot fly net, but it may be too late.

You may not approve of them but a ring of slug pellets at the base will
probably be most effective protection. Main thing is don't let it get
too dry for the first year after that if can take care of itself.

In my experience, they are more decorative than useful - my slugs
and snails tend to ignore them :-(

I confess I am surprised that snails can eat it so completely.

So was I :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-04-2014, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2014 19:00, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I bought one this spring, but the snails have eaten all of the
buds right down to the old wood :-( What are the chances of
it surviving?

I have now watered with Slugclear, and covered with a tent
of carrot fly net, but it may be too late.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've never grown this particular Hydrangea, but most are fairly tough.
I would give it a good nitrogen feed to help it produce more stems and
leaf. Also, in your neck of the woods, make sure it doesn't go short of
water until it establishes. Sometimes it helps to walk around whistling
with your fingers crossed ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2014 21:33, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I bought one this spring, but the snails have eaten all of the
buds right down to the old wood :-( What are the chances of
it surviving?

Fairly good but you won't get any flowers this year.

That's good news!

It is rather slow when small but once it gets going quite vigorous but
needs tying in once it gets above about 6' or it falls off the wall!

It's in the open - I shall be pruning it as an upright shrub,
and perhaps staking, if it survives.

I find that some cats like to nibble the ends of certain hydrangea
cultivars which tends to damage the lower flower stems. YMMV

I have never yet had slug/snail damage though and I am well provided
with both (but maybe different ones up here on a cold clay soil).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown