Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Charlie2 Charlie2 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW82 View Post
Hi,

Can anyone help with identifying what these flies are and what we can do to get rid of them?

http://i.imgur.com/gnKlCit.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ds9FZ1l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bk8hzrf.jpg

They seem to congregate on the grass during the day, sitting high on the blades, but also some are hovering above the grass and some are on the windows of the house too. In the evening they seem to go elsewhere. It is a new build house that is a couple of years old and the grass is pretty patchy and has never really been in good condition. Looking online they seem similar to fungus gnats but I really don't have a clue to be honest. Someone mentioned diluting Jeyes Fluid and covering the lawn with this to kill them and their larvae. Is this a sensible suggestion? Or is there anything else we should be doing?

Thanks in advance.
Answer to this by Charlie2 if it don't show is

It's possible they are young sawflies don't pick them up they have a nasty sting I'm told. Insecticide or soapy water.