Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Registered User

Default Flies on lawn

Hi,

Can anyone help with identifying what these flies are and what we can do to get rid of them?

http://i.imgur.com/gnKlCit.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ds9FZ1l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bk8hzrf.jpg

They seem to congregate on the grass during the day, sitting high on the blades, but also some are hovering above the grass and some are on the windows of the house too. In the evening they seem to go elsewhere. It is a new build house that is a couple of years old and the grass is pretty patchy and has never really been in good condition. Looking online they seem similar to fungus gnats but I really don't have a clue to be honest. Someone mentioned diluting Jeyes Fluid and covering the lawn with this to kill them and their larvae. Is this a sensible suggestion? Or is there anything else we should be doing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[image: http://i.imgur.com/gnKlCit.jpg]

[image: http://i.imgur.com/ds9FZ1l.jpg]

[image: http://i.imgur.com/bk8hzrf.jpg]

They seem to congregate on the grass during the day, sitting high on the
blades, but also some are hovering above the grass and some are on the
windows of the house too. In the evening they seem to go elsewhere. It
is a new build house that is a couple of years old and the grass is
pretty patchy and has never really been in good condition. Looking
online they seem similar to fungus gnats but I really don't have a clue
to be honest. Someone mentioned diluting Jeyes Fluid and covering the
lawn with this to kill them and their larvae. Is this a sensible
suggestion? Or is there anything else we should be doing?

Thanks in advance.

Flymo ?
Sorry but it had to be said.
Are they causing any problems?
I'd be inclined to put a bird feeder there for a time, I'm sure that
once the birds find them they will disappear quite quickly.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW82 View Post
[...]

Answer to this by Charlie2 if it don't show is

It's possible they are young sawflies don't pick them up they have a nasty sting I'm told. Insecticide or soapy water.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Thanks guys, they do look like the St Mark's flies so hopefully they won't be here too long. They are just a nuisance as there are so many of them in the grass.