Old 16-05-2014, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default My first attempt at grafting

Winters_Lackey wrote:
There was a wild apple tree in my back yard that the electric company
cut down. They would have just trimmed it away, but I saw the guys
out there and told them that it didn't make edible apples, so they
could cut it down. That was last year. This year shoots came out of
the trunk in a big way.

So I cut a branch off of my Obelisk tree, and grafted it onto one of
the shoots. In the unlikely event that it takes, I'll do that with
another one. Then, at the end of the year (mid-Winter), I'll keep
the bad shoots trimmed back. My question is, is there any likelihood
at all that the graft will take?

Grafts only work between plants that are genetically close. So apple-apple,
maybe apple-pear or apple-quince but not apple-pine. I don't know the
obelisk tree, how close to an apple is it? I suspect not at all and so
there is very little or no chance of success.