Old 01-03-2003, 12:28 AM
simy1

Default When to start seeds?

zxcvbob wrote in message ...

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW. I usually plant my peppers in
early February, but I'm running a little late this year. I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

Squash, beans, and cucumbers will do just fine seeded directly in the
garden once the ground is warm.

It takes quite a bit of repotting, sure (from tray to 4" to 8") but it
is only
18 plants for me and you get to repot them to the first set of leaves
twice. The 8" pot can be filled with straight manure for an extra
little kick, and I have a sunny, sheltered patio where tomatoes
survive the night starting april 15 (Michigan).