Old 22-05-2014, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Papaya seeds

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Has anyone ever planted these and had a result? Ray has saved the seeds
from one he ate two days ago and is going to have a try!

Yes. They germinate readily, and grow fairly easily in a warm,
sunny place. They are thoroughly unexciting, unfortunately.
The mature plant looks like a gigantic brussel sprout, and I
doubt that they would crop even in your polytunnel.

I don't think we'd hope for a crop though we do have an Ensete
lasiocarpum fruiting at present! And we've had one or two bunches of
bananas that never came to much. I think he was just interested to
know whether they'd come up at all but your description does make them
sound extremely dull. I'll pass that on. Thank you!

Mangoes are more decorative, but I suspect that you may have trouble
getting seed ripe enough to germinate. The best subtropical tree
I grew from pips was tree tomato (Cyphomandra), but you may well
already grow that! I got dragon fruit to germinate well, but
didn't have space for it - and it tastes just like sweetened
wallpaper paste. I am currently growing Passiflora edulis from
a pip, for decoration - but that's easy, as you know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.