Old 22-05-2014, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Papaya seeds

Has anyone ever planted these and had a result? Ray has saved the seeds
from one he ate two days ago and is going to have a try!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-05-2014, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Has anyone ever planted these and had a result? Ray has saved the seeds
from one he ate two days ago and is going to have a try!

Yes. They germinate readily, and grow fairly easily in a warm,
sunny place. They are thoroughly unexciting, unfortunately.
The mature plant looks like a gigantic brussel sprout, and I
doubt that they would crop even in your polytunnel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-05-2014, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-22 09:39:35 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Has anyone ever planted these and had a result? Ray has saved the seeds
from one he ate two days ago and is going to have a try!

Yes. They germinate readily, and grow fairly easily in a warm,
sunny place. They are thoroughly unexciting, unfortunately.
The mature plant looks like a gigantic brussel sprout, and I
doubt that they would crop even in your polytunnel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I don't think we'd hope for a crop though we do have an Ensete
lasiocarpum fruiting at present! And we've had one or two bunches of
bananas that never came to much. I think he was just interested to
know whether they'd come up at all but your description does make them
sound extremely dull. I'll pass that on. Thank you!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-05-2014, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Has anyone ever planted these and had a result? Ray has saved the seeds
from one he ate two days ago and is going to have a try!

Yes. They germinate readily, and grow fairly easily in a warm,
sunny place. They are thoroughly unexciting, unfortunately.
The mature plant looks like a gigantic brussel sprout, and I
doubt that they would crop even in your polytunnel.

I don't think we'd hope for a crop though we do have an Ensete
lasiocarpum fruiting at present! And we've had one or two bunches of
bananas that never came to much. I think he was just interested to
know whether they'd come up at all but your description does make them
sound extremely dull. I'll pass that on. Thank you!

Mangoes are more decorative, but I suspect that you may have trouble
getting seed ripe enough to germinate. The best subtropical tree
I grew from pips was tree tomato (Cyphomandra), but you may well
already grow that! I got dragon fruit to germinate well, but
didn't have space for it - and it tastes just like sweetened
wallpaper paste. I am currently growing Passiflora edulis from
a pip, for decoration - but that's easy, as you know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2014, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-22 11:26:50 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

[...]

No, I don't know the Cyphomandra, sounds interesting! I can see Ray's
face now. One of our Passiflora edulis has fruits now but that's in the
prop. house which is the warmest of all the greenhouses. The P.
antioquensis is flowering like a crazy thing but rarely fruits. Must go
and check on the Akebia quinata to see if that looks at all promising.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-05-2014, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

No, I don't know the Cyphomandra, sounds interesting! I can see Ray's
face now. One of our Passiflora edulis has fruits now but that's in the
prop. house which is the warmest of all the greenhouses. The P.
antioquensis is flowering like a crazy thing but rarely fruits. Must go
and check on the Akebia quinata to see if that looks at all promising.

Cyphomandra betacea is fairly fast growing, and has fairly large
leaves. I grew it in a pot, and it would need protection only in
the winter, but I never got it to flower.

Neither my nor my mother's Akebia ever set fruit. I am planning to
plant multiple Passiflora incarnata to see if I can get fruit, but
they are the devil to find locations for as they need dry soil in
winter!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2014, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-23 11:14:15 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

No, I don't know the Cyphomandra, sounds interesting! I can see Ray's
face now. One of our Passiflora edulis has fruits now but that's in the
prop. house which is the warmest of all the greenhouses. The P.
antioquensis is flowering like a crazy thing but rarely fruits. Must go
and check on the Akebia quinata to see if that looks at all promising.

Cyphomandra betacea is fairly fast growing, and has fairly large
leaves. I grew it in a pot, and it would need protection only in
the winter, but I never got it to flower.

I'll look for it and present it as a fait accompli, perhaps!

Neither my nor my mother's Akebia ever set fruit. I am planning to
plant multiple Passiflora incarnata to see if I can get fruit, but
they are the devil to find locations for as they need dry soil in
winter!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

When our Akebia fruited it was unexpected and was the result of a warm,
long end to the summer. I don't think the fruits were deeply exciting
but they were interesting and aroused a certain amount of comment.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-05-2014, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

No, I don't know the Cyphomandra, sounds interesting! I can see Ray's
face now. One of our Passiflora edulis has fruits now but that's in the
prop. house which is the warmest of all the greenhouses. The P.
antioquensis is flowering like a crazy thing but rarely fruits. Must go
and check on the Akebia quinata to see if that looks at all promising.

Cyphomandra betacea is fairly fast growing, and has fairly large
leaves. I grew it in a pot, and it would need protection only in
the winter, but I never got it to flower.

I'll look for it and present it as a fait accompli, perhaps!

I recommend buying a fruit when you get the opportunity - I like
them, but many don't. Like so many fruit, they are acrid when
unripe, but that disappears when they ripen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-05-2014, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-23 13:47:53 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

No, I don't know the Cyphomandra, sounds interesting! I can see Ray's
face now. One of our Passiflora edulis has fruits now but that's in the
prop. house which is the warmest of all the greenhouses. The P.
antioquensis is flowering like a crazy thing but rarely fruits. Must go
and check on the Akebia quinata to see if that looks at all promising.

Cyphomandra betacea is fairly fast growing, and has fairly large
leaves. I grew it in a pot, and it would need protection only in
the winter, but I never got it to flower.

I'll look for it and present it as a fait accompli, perhaps!

I recommend buying a fruit when you get the opportunity - I like
them, but many don't. Like so many fruit, they are acrid when
unripe, but that disappears when they ripen.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick. I don't know how easy that will be to find round here but
I'll keep my eyes open.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-05-2014, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-23 13:47:53 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Waitrose have them sometimes, I will look out for them
next time I am there.

Jenny - in Bristol

Old 26-05-2014, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-23 13:47:53 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Ah, thanks, Jenny. I'll do an online search in Waitrose.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com