Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Oz

Default Greed driving plant science

writes

We need to know more about the consequences of hybridization of crop species
with related weeds and the potential for introgression in both directions.
Jointed goatgrass hybridizes with common wheat and viable backcross offspring
can be produced. Have resistance genes from wheat moved into jointed goatgrass
and changed its survival potential? A similar question can be asked for sorghum
and shattercane, sunflower and wild sunflower, canola and mustards, or maize
and teosinte.

You are new here.

I have, since before GM cropping was available, pointed out that
whilst RR genes will have no effect on wild populations whilst
insecticidal genes may do and should be treated with HUGE caution.

Which is why I am for RR cultivars and in many cases against
insecticidal introductions.

However maize in europe has no species to x-breed with, so it's not
an issue. I have yet to see any data on leguminous crops, where
insect resistance would be advantageous. Brassicae family are
profligate switchers of genes.

I don;t know if we have goatgrass in europe, it doesn't feature in
the bad weed tables, anyway.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.