Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
helenscanlan helenscanlan is offline

Default Runner Bean Problems

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 19:39:57 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

I have grown Red Rum Runner Beans for years very successfully and have never
had problems with them. (I certainly recommend them)

This year (like every year) - I planted 20 seeds in individual 3inch pots in
new compost - 2 inches deep as per usual and the instructions. All pots had
been well cleaned in Jeyes Fluid after use last year. The pots were in the
greenhouse.

Only 8 of them have germinated and sprouted: and are doing fine.

I have just emptied out the contents of 4 of the other pots - and each bean had
turned to a white mush - almost like glue - but retaining its external shape
and red/black skin. There were also some very small live white "worms" on them
about 3mm long and less than 1mm fat.

Anyone ever experienced this - and any ideas?

(Only yesterday - I planted another twenty beans in situ in the raised bed
where I intended to transplant the others. It will be interesting to see if
there are similar problems - I will report back later in a couple of weeks)

The bean seeds were new this year: Thompson and Morgan.

Were they mail order?

I like to look at the packet before handing over good money. I do like theirs,
but go to my garden centre (Golden Days) if I want one of theirs (or anyone's,
really).