Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Bean Problems

I have grown Red Rum Runner Beans for years very successfully and have never
had problems with them. (I certainly recommend them)

This year (like every year) - I planted 20 seeds in individual 3inch pots in
new compost - 2 inches deep as per usual and the instructions. All pots had
been well cleaned in Jeyes Fluid after use last year. The pots were in the
greenhouse.

Only 8 of them have germinated and sprouted: and are doing fine.

I have just emptied out the contents of 4 of the other pots - and each bean had
turned to a white mush - almost like glue - but retaining its external shape
and red/black skin. There were also some very small live white "worms" on them
about 3mm long and less than 1mm fat.

Anyone ever experienced this - and any ideas?

(Only yesterday - I planted another twenty beans in situ in the raised bed
where I intended to transplant the others. It will be interesting to see if
there are similar problems - I will report back later in a couple of weeks)

The bean seeds were new this year: Thompson and Morgan.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I've had similar germination problems this year, not only with
runner beans, but also borlotti and gree/french beans. Peas in
pots also poor, first row direct into ground vitually nothing,
second row fine!

I've also noticed the little white magotty things. My seed was
a mixture of old and new from different suppliers.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 19:39:57 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

[...]

Were they mail order?

I like to look at the packet before handing over good money. I do like theirs,
but go to my garden centre (Golden Days) if I want one of theirs (or anyone's,
really).
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

No - local garden cent unfortunately I threw the packet away: but I am
pretty certain that they were this year's with an expiry date of 2016.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:39:57 PM UTC+1, Judith in England wrote:
[...]

I don't grow runner beans (yuk!) but I do grow dwarf and climbing french beans (they don't go stringy). I have had this problem in past years and I think it is due to overwatering rotting the seeds. Mine are outside germinating in this weather and I have been concerned about the rain but so far they seem to be coming up.

Jonathan

Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2014 17:58, wrote:
[...]

Today I have sown a fresh batch or runner beans, 4 different varieties
including one from China.
My last lot of around 150 seeds all but 4 failed, (all rotted), and the
French beans I sowed around 85% failed.
I have never had problems before.
Also remembered at last to sow my sweet corn.
All the above have been sown in 7cm square pots, fresh compost.
I think it's a bad year for beans as I haven't seen anyone selling
runner bean plants, and I have had a lot of people asking for them.
David@ a waterlogged side of Swansea Bay. Around 12 hours of rain today
so far.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 18:12:30 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 04/06/2014 17:58, wrote:
[...]

I had some climbing bean plants (a heritage variety) coming up in a
big tub.I had an excellent crop last year.
I've had to sow again as the b*** slugs and snails ate all but the
stems.
Old 22-06-2014, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

After my post (above) - I planted out the 8 plants in the plant pots into my
raised bed.

I then planted pairs of seeds (from the same packet as the original) against
each of my supporting canes which I had not yet used: another twenty beans to
the ten canes.

Lo and behold: 18 of them germinated and are now growing up the canes fine.

So 12 out of 20 failures in the pots: and 2 out of twenty failures with the
directly planted ones.

It does look like I had overwatered (for the first time ever in growing beans)
- those in the pots in the greenhouse.

I had this year used capillary matting: and I know when the tops of the pots
looked a little dry - I gave them a watering from the top.

I surmise that the contents of the pots were actually quite moist (from the
capillary matting) - and I thus over-watered them; as I say - never done that
before.

A lesson learnt.