Old 08-06-2014, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garlic!

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote
What a disaster this year, it's the worst garlic we have ever grown,
small and it's all re-sprouting despite the tops only just going over.
There will be enough for us (we hope) but the friends and neighbours can
forget it this year.
Presume it was the terrible wet winter, ground is still saturated, which
did most of the damage as they looked very unwell during the floods
(although they weren't flooded but the water table was so high). The very
mild winter with no cold snap can't have helped.
Ho hum, there is always next season!

Mine have rust and are re-sprouting! Are they salvageable? should we dig
them and try and dry them?

Ours had dreadful Rust too, seems to be the norm these days but it usually
does not affect the crop unless the plants get it very early. We dug all
ours up today and they are out on the plot on wire racks to dry off, they
have two chances but looking at them I'm not hopeful as they all seem to be
resprouting. Normally one of our better crops but not this year.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.