Old 11-06-2014, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Flowers in a vegetable patch

Higgs Boson wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
Tinor wrote:

I have made a few raised beds for a vegetable garden, and am looking at
creating a border to hide the fence/wall around the bottom of my garden.
Perhaps using trellis.
Is there any recommended plants/flowers I could use- or any to
particularly avoid when planting next to vegetables/fruit.

I plant marigolds.

There is tons of stuff on-line about companion planting for *veggies*: don't plant X next to Y; do plant A and B next to each other. Very useful!

Just wondering if a search for ornamentals compatible/incompatible with veggies
couldn't also be found -- specific, of course, to your region of UK.

I also plant mammoth sunflowers along the north side of my vegetable
garden so as not to shade my crops but they make an excellent dense
screen, and in fall I place the trashcan lid sized blooms on my lawn
so the birds can enjoy the seeds... birds are unable to get to
sunflower seeds while growing on the plant. Bluejays are the
champions at devouring sunflower seeds.