Old 12-06-2014, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Flowers in a vegetable patch

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:07:53 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:17:37 +0200, Tinor

wrote:

Hi

I have made a few raised beds for a vegetable garden, and am
looking at

creating a border to hide the fence/wall around the bottom of my
garden.

Perhaps using trellis.

Is there any recommended plants/flowers I could use- or any to

particularly avoid when planting next to vegetables/fruit.

I plant marigolds.

There is tons of stuff on-line about companion planting for
*veggies*: don't plant X next to Y; do plant A and B next to each
other. Very useful!

Very exaggerated. There are some plants that do not play well with
others (allelopathy) by making biochemicals harmful to others or their
seeds. There are possibly some that may be useful with others, such as
to repel some kinds of pests, if you have those pests and if they work
in your situation.

Agreed. Companion planting is mostly folklore. From the Horticultural
Myths page on companion planting:

There is no scientific basis, however, for any of the several lists
that exist describing "traditional companion plants". Like horoscopes,
these lists may be fun to use, but they should not be perceived or
promoted as scientifically valid any more than astrology. Furthermore,
those of us who value the science
behind our horticultural practices should avoid using this phrase for
precisely the same reason.
http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Cha...n%20plants.pdf