Old 14-06-2014, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Flowers in a vegetable patch

On 13/06/2014 11:13 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Fran Farmer writes:
On 12/06/2014 11:42 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

I wish the warnings about walnut trees were fiction, but that is
another topic (and the neighbor's tree).

I've not heard of any warnings about walnut trees so can you explain
what they may be please?

Walnut trees, or maybe it is just black walnut, produce a substance
called juglone. It interferes with plant respiration in some way.
Some plants are very sensitive and some not so much. (I can assure
you that creaping thistle is not bothered by the stuff.)

Since this is given off by the roots, including dead roots while
decomposing, and the trees in question are/were just across the
fence, my yard is a bit of a mine field of plant risk. Both trees
were taken down in the last few years, but one is trying to come
back.

One year (4-5 years back) before I clicked on the fact that the
trees were walnut, I had the garden fairly close to them. Things
were fine for the spring. Then one week in the summer, everything
(including the neighbor's plants along there) turned yellow and
died. It was like someone snuck in and sprayed herbicide.

Ah! Thank you. I won't plant any walnut trees in my garden.