Old 17-06-2014, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Lazy cruciferous

On Monday, June 16, 2014 11:46:10 AM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 06/16/2014 11:36 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

It's JUNE facrynoutloud and only NOW are a few broccoli and Brussels sprout plants deciding to put on a little growth!

They've been in the ground since last Fall and have done basically zip. A few tiny broccoli bits emerged at the tip of ONE plant. Otherwise nada.

This is So Calif coastal. We had mild non-winter and are heading into ?? summer. I think there's no point in leaving lazy winter plants occupying valuable space.

Will pull out unless I get dissenting advice.

Hi Higgs,

Had a big Brussels Sprout plant last year. The

only thing it grew, and it grew them REALLY WELL, was

aphids. I eventually pulled it out. I asked a nursery

guy about it and he said a lot of stuff that went

over my head, but to summarize the GIST of it, they

are hard to grow. But this is the desert and you are

the coast, so I basically have nothing helpful to say.

I'm not the only home gardener who's just about given up on growing certain veggies that we can get almost as fresh and almost as cheap at farmers markets(wanna see my water bills!!)

This year, planted only corn, green onions, carrots, tomatoes, two kinds of melon, green beans, strawberries.

Tx anyway. Note Grammar Police correction above in CAPS.

HB