Old 16-06-2014, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lazy cruciferous

It's JUNE facrynoutloud and only NOW are a few broccoli and Brussels sprout plants deciding to put on a little growth!

They've been in the ground since last Fall and have done basically zip. A few tiny broccoli bits emerged at the tip of ONE plant. Otherwise nada.

This is So Calif coastal. We had mild non-winter and are heading into ?? summer. I think there's no point in leaving lazy winter plants occupying valuable space.

Will pull out unless I get dissenting advice.

HB

Old 16-06-2014, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/16/2014 11:36 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
It's JUNE facrynoutloud and only NOW are a few broccoli and Brussels sprout plants deciding to put on a little growth!

They've been in the ground since last Fall and have done basically zip. A few tiny broccoli bits emerged at the tip of ONE plant. Otherwise nada.

This is So Calif coastal. We had mild non-winter and are heading into ?? summer. I think there's no point in leaving lazy winter plants occupying valuable space.

Will pull out unless I get dissenting advice.

HB

Hi Higgs,

Had a big Brussels Sprout plant last year. The
only thing it grew, and it grew them REALLY WELL, was
aphids. I eventually pulled it out. I asked a nursery
guy about it and he said a lot of stuff that went
over my head, but to summarize the jest of it, they
are hard to grow. But this is the desert and you are
the coast, so I basically have nothing helpful to say.

-T
Old 16-06-2014, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/16/2014 11:36 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
This is So Calif coastal

Hi Higgs,

Send more tourists! Our economy here in Nevada is in
ruin since the recession.

-T
Old 17-06-2014, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 16, 2014 12:03:53 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 06/16/2014 11:36 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

This is So Calif coastal

Hi Higgs,

Send more tourists! Our economy here in Nevada is in

ruin since the recession.

Sorry about the tourists...but Wall Street is doing very nicely, thank you. Inequality on the rise. Offshore money, if repatriated and taxed, would just about solve our problems.)

At least your economy is not going to be submerged by rising waters as with us coastal folks!

HB
Old 17-06-2014, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 16, 2014 11:46:10 AM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 06/16/2014 11:36 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

It's JUNE facrynoutloud and only NOW are a few broccoli and Brussels sprout plants deciding to put on a little growth!

They've been in the ground since last Fall and have done basically zip. A few tiny broccoli bits emerged at the tip of ONE plant. Otherwise nada.

This is So Calif coastal. We had mild non-winter and are heading into ?? summer. I think there's no point in leaving lazy winter plants occupying valuable space.

Will pull out unless I get dissenting advice.

Hi Higgs,

Had a big Brussels Sprout plant last year. The

only thing it grew, and it grew them REALLY WELL, was

aphids. I eventually pulled it out. I asked a nursery

guy about it and he said a lot of stuff that went

over my head, but to summarize the GIST of it, they

are hard to grow. But this is the desert and you are

the coast, so I basically have nothing helpful to say.

I'm not the only home gardener who's just about given up on growing certain veggies that we can get almost as fresh and almost as cheap at farmers markets(wanna see my water bills!!)

This year, planted only corn, green onions, carrots, tomatoes, two kinds of melon, green beans, strawberries.

Tx anyway. Note Grammar Police correction above in CAPS.

HB

Old 17-06-2014, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/16/2014 04:17 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Monday, June 16, 2014 12:03:53 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 06/16/2014 11:36 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

This is So Calif coastal

Hi Higgs,

Send more tourists! Our economy here in Nevada is in

ruin since the recession.

Sorry about the tourists...but Wall Street is doing very nicely, thank you. Inequality on the rise. Offshore money, if repatriated and taxed, would just about solve our problems.)

At least your economy is not going to be submerged by rising waters as with us coastal folks!

HB

When the "Big One" hits, I may have a nice piece of
beach front property! Oh, but the water pollution
will be a thing to behold.

Here is a fun article on sea levels:
http://theresilientearth.com/?q=cont...el-shenanigans

Since the San Andres fault is moving laterally, you
should not be seeing any uplifting due to subduction.
And, you did not have an ice sheet to push you down
(the mid west is still popping up from that).

So, I will have to settle for possible future beach
front property.

Old 17-06-2014, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/16/2014 04:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
This year, planted only corn, green onions, carrots, tomatoes, two kinds of melon, green beans, strawberries.

Yum. I can eat everything but the corn. Let us know how it goes.
Old 17-06-2014, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 16, 2014 5:24:07 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
[...]

I wasn't talking about the Big One. I meant much longer-term consequences from the Greenland glaciers, the West Antarctic ice sheet, to mention only a few.
Some estimates hold that if ALL the Greenland glaciers melted, it would raise the ocean level 23 feet. So you or your children or grandchildren may have your beach-front property after all.

HB

Old 17-06-2014, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/16/2014 08:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I was teasing about the "Big One".

Don't get too upset about the sea levels rising. All
those predictions have failed to materialize. But the
government money to study them has not.

Here is a competing study on the subject:
http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/im...not_rising.pdf

I wouldn't put any stock in the Greenland Glaciers. All the
arctic ice has shifted over to the Russian side. I will shift back
again and we will have lots of ice. It has done this several
times before and no one got flooded.

I am afraid the rising sea levels scare tactics will not stop
until the government funding stops.

Idea: how about trading us Clark County (Las Vegas) for
Alpine County (Markleeville)?

-T

Old 17-06-2014, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 16, 2014 9:06:43 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
[...]

With all due respect for your opinion, we need to drop
the subject right now. It was OT for this NG anyway.
I'm not open to any more exchanges on the subject

HB

Old 17-06-2014, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/17/2014 11:46 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Idea: how about trading us Clark County (Las Vegas) for

Alpine County (Markleeville)?

With all due respect for your opinion, we need to drop
the subject right now. It was OT for this NG anyway.
I'm not open to any more exchanges on the subject

HB

Hi Higgs,

My apologies. It was suppose to be a conversation
among friends.

-T

[IMG] code is On

What's it all about, Lazy Koveleski? Cereus-validus Gardening 3 18-06-2004 05:10 AM
Lazy Man Needs Help With Annuals AuralFeast Gardening 1 15-05-2004 08:04 AM
2 lazy spikes! Claude Orchids 3 03-12-2003 11:12 AM
Organic is King. The public shun fat, lazy farming practice in their droves. LordSnooty United Kingdom 3 07-11-2003 01:12 PM
Help a Lazy Ponder Out? BenignVanilla Ponds 6 04-02-2003 03:02 PM