Old 17-06-2014, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tulip Trees Dying?!?!

On 6/16/2014 1:58 PM, ElCuartoMago wrote:
Nice tips. I'll try and cross my fingers. I usually aerate, fertilize
and lime in the fall. frankly never thought about adding gypsum and
don't usually do much around those trees as they've just taken care
of themselves. they're surrounded by hosta, ferns, azaleas, lacecap
hydrangeas and elephant ears which have all taken care of
themselves...........

Only the hosta, ferns and elephant bounced back unaffected. Didn't
really pay close attention to the trees until recently.

thanks for the advice.

DO NOT aerate within the drip zone of the tulip trees. Aerating will
severely damage the delicate surface roots. Also, I would not use lime
around them; they prefer an acid soil.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see