Old 17-06-2014, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default raised beds and mandalas

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Monday, June 16, 2014 5:11:42 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Todd wrote:

On 06/15/2014 08:40 AM, songbird wrote:

about raised beds...

[...]

If you like curves look up Mandala Garden. A system of six
rotational beds

in a hexagonal array with perenials, including fruit trees, planted
in the

corners all watered by one central sprinkler. This may be cheaper
than lots

of drippers and get in the way less. There are many other advantages

including having chooks that fertilise your food garden and avoiding
much

weeding. Much favoured by the local permaculturists, worth a look
if you

are preparing for a major makeover

You let your CHICKENS out among your vegetable gardens? I'd think
they'd decimate them in no time. We used to keep chickens, in a
roomy, fenced enclosure (that is still fertile soil decades later!).
I'd let them out to play as long as I was out there watching. Don't
tell me chickens are stupid!!! The minute the phone rang and I went
in to answer, they headed right to the veg.garden. Pavlovian
conditioning..

[...]

HB

You are jumping to conclusions. The clue about why chooks don't decimate
the garden but help is in 'rotational'. They are in the beds in their turn
not when you are growing produce for yourself. Look at the link.