Old 29-06-2014, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Unknown olive

On 2014-06-29 15:51:06 +0000, David Hill said:

On 29/06/2014 16:30, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:57:51 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

I don't know if this pic is good enough but does anyone know which
type
of olive this is? All we know is it's an olive!
http://i59.tinypic.com/eg6l4.jpg

It looks like the usual Olea europaea to me.

Steve

see http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/olive_cultivars.html

There are a couple of dwarf varieties as well that I have come across

We have - or had - the 'usual' ones. This isn't it. It could be a dwarf
- bit early to tell. It's around 4' now.
That's to big for the dwarf ones.
What makes it different?

The leaf. Ray says he's had it for several years and that it was given
to him as an unusual olive. I'm suspicious that it's an olive but what
do I know?! Here's a closer pic of the leaf. It's a bit myrtle like
but the overall growth is nothing like a myrtle.
http://i57.tinypic.com/25qrm2t.jpg

As you know, if it were a Myrtle then you would get a scent from a
crushed leaf.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psf880a043.jpg

Just about all the named fruiting varieties of Olive are grafted on to
wild Olea europaea rootstock, which has a much smaller leaf, and that is
what I would say you have there, a wild olive.
David @ a dry side of Swansea Bay