Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default What eats Gooseberries

On 03/07/2014 23:08, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Hi,

I went to pick the gooseberries today, and found that 2
uncovered bushes had been more or less cleared of fruit. I've
never had this before, so looked to see what caused it.

No sign of any insects on the remaining fruit, or on the
leaves.

some of the fruit on the bushes was clearly beeing eaten, split
across the middle and some of the fruit eaten out.

Bushes are quite tightly packed, being in a relatively small
space with little room for expansion and are close together.

Thorns on them would I'd have thought deterred birds.

So what is eating them lease?

Have you looked around the bush, This year for the first time I've had
mice taking strawberries and stockpiling them a couple of feet away.