Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What eats Gooseberries

Hi,

I went to pick the gooseberries today, and found that 2
uncovered bushes had been more or less cleared of fruit. I've
never had this before, so looked to see what caused it.

No sign of any insects on the remaining fruit, or on the
leaves.

some of the fruit on the bushes was clearly beeing eaten, split
across the middle and some of the fruit eaten out.

Bushes are quite tightly packed, being in a relatively small
space with little room for expansion and are close together.

Thorns on them would I'd have thought deterred birds.

So what is eating them lease?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2014 23:08, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Hi,

I went to pick the gooseberries today, and found that 2
uncovered bushes had been more or less cleared of fruit. I've
never had this before, so looked to see what caused it.

Usually on approach you hear the alarm call of a blackbird or thrush
disgruntled about being chased off it's patch. Jostaberries are even
worse for this problem. Reminds me it is time ot net them and the
blueberries before they show any colour or they vanish in 24 hours!

No sign of any insects on the remaining fruit, or on the
leaves.

Gooseberry sawfly eats all the leaves again pretty much overnight if you
are out of luck - happened to me one year. Quite a shock it was.

some of the fruit on the bushes was clearly beeing eaten, split
across the middle and some of the fruit eaten out.

Bushes are quite tightly packed, being in a relatively small
space with little room for expansion and are close together.

Thorns on them would I'd have thought deterred birds.

So what is eating them lease?

Birds. They like thorny bushes it keeps the cats out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2014 23:08, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Hi,

I went to pick the gooseberries today, and found that 2
uncovered bushes had been more or less cleared of fruit. I've
never had this before, so looked to see what caused it.

No sign of any insects on the remaining fruit, or on the
leaves.

some of the fruit on the bushes was clearly beeing eaten, split
across the middle and some of the fruit eaten out.

Bushes are quite tightly packed, being in a relatively small
space with little room for expansion and are close together.

Thorns on them would I'd have thought deterred birds.

So what is eating them lease?

Have you looked around the bush, This year for the first time I've had
mice taking strawberries and stockpiling them a couple of feet away.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Hi,

I went to pick the gooseberries today, and found that 2
uncovered bushes had been more or less cleared of fruit. I've
never had this before, so looked to see what caused it.

No sign of any insects on the remaining fruit, or on the
leaves.

some of the fruit on the bushes was clearly beeing eaten, split
across the middle and some of the fruit eaten out.

Bushes are quite tightly packed, being in a relatively small
space with little room for expansion and are close together.

Thorns on them would I'd have thought deterred birds.

So what is eating them lease?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

If the bushes are not inside a fruit cage my money is on Blackbirds

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

If the bushes are not inside a fruit cage my money is on Blackbirds

And they will also go for your greenhouse strawberries.
Once they get the taste of the fruits - no stopping them. (:-(

Pete

Old 04-07-2014, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

I went to pick the gooseberries today, and found that 2
uncovered bushes had been more or less cleared of fruit. I've
never had this before, so looked to see what caused it.

No sign of any insects on the remaining fruit, or on the
leaves.

some of the fruit on the bushes was clearly beeing eaten, split
across the middle and some of the fruit eaten out.

Bushes are quite tightly packed, being in a relatively small
space with little room for expansion and are close together.

Thorns on them would I'd have thought deterred birds.

So what is eating them lease?

Ours are also being eaten, looking at the evidence it's birds of some sort
not mice. The mice are busy eating our cherries! First time that we have had
the gooseberries eaten, I suppose it will happen every year now. :-(
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Registered User

Angry

Me too...was looking forward to making gooseberry jam. Went to harvest my beautiful fruit and only 2 gooseberries left on entire bush!