Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What eats Gooseberries

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Hi,

I went to pick the gooseberries today, and found that 2
uncovered bushes had been more or less cleared of fruit. I've
never had this before, so looked to see what caused it.

No sign of any insects on the remaining fruit, or on the
leaves.

some of the fruit on the bushes was clearly beeing eaten, split
across the middle and some of the fruit eaten out.

Bushes are quite tightly packed, being in a relatively small
space with little room for expansion and are close together.

Thorns on them would I'd have thought deterred birds.

So what is eating them lease?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

If the bushes are not inside a fruit cage my money is on Blackbirds

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs