Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default The Harvest Begins

Terry Coombs said:
Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans
kentucky wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice
zucchini and one summer squash , the green onions are ready , and this
morning I picked a quart of wild blackberries . When the tomatoes start
to ripen , we'll be buried ... and that's only a matter of a few days now .
All my work the last few months is coming to fruition ... pun intended

Harvested my soft-neck garlic a little early, July 5, but they cleaned up
real nice (if a bit small, no surprise hard winter and delayed spring).
Last year I was a bit late, the weather had been wet, and the bulbs
turned out ugly and they weren't 'well wrapped' so I had more than the
normal loss during storage.

May have trouble with the hard necks. It's been thundering the last two
days, and I have not been doing much outdoors. We shall see.

The winter squash is starting to run and the first sweet corn is showing
silks and the tassels have popped up.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."