Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default The Harvest Begins

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Terry Coombs said:
Just out checkin' the garden today , and we have green beans
kentucky wonder , pole ready to pick . I've already picked a nice
zucchini and one summer squash , the green onions are ready , and
this morning I picked a quart of wild blackberries . When the
tomatoes start to ripen , we'll be buried ... and that's only a
matter of a few days now . All my work the last few months is
coming to fruition ... pun intended

Harvested my soft-neck garlic a little early, July 5, but they
cleaned up real nice (if a bit small, no surprise hard winter and
delayed spring). Last year I was a bit late, the weather had been
wet, and the bulbs turned out ugly and they weren't 'well wrapped' so
I had more than the normal loss during storage.

I've been wondering , just when is the "right" time to plant garlic ? I
bought a large package of the stuff we like from WM , with the intent to
plant some this summer , I just ain't sure when to plant .

May have trouble with the hard necks. It's been thundering the last
two days, and I have not been doing much outdoors. We shall see.

I just planted about a hundred more green onions , they grow well here and
we like 'em .

The winter squash is starting to run and the first sweet corn is
showing silks and the tassels have popped up.

I've been out in the garden all morning . We've got pumpkins , acorn and
early summer squashes , zucchini , and cucumbers all on the vines now . Some
of the tomatoes are getting larger than baseballs , and the green beans have
started producing . The 14 strawberries Ozark Beauty IIRC I planted early
are now more like 50 plants , runnin' all over . I've already harvested
BokChoi seed for a late summer planting , and the Romaine,Iceberg , and
spinach have all bolted - will be saving seed from all of them . Oh , and
the Cayennes are loaded with blossoms and fruit , eggplants are blooming ,
and the okra has decided to jump right up and get growin' now too .
The wife's gonna have some canning to do ...
--
Snag