Old 09-07-2014, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoe blight

In article
John writes:
No tomatoes this year

Dead or just distressed?

My tomatoes got hit with leaf spot (Septoria). I *think* I've
treated it with copper sulfate, but a look two days after (when the
weather turned sunny) says it is pretty far along. I'll lose 2/3
- 3/4 of the current leaves. Hoping that an otherwise vigorous
variety will rebound.

I'll know better in about a month.

Wiped out the cherry tomato plants and the larger varieties aren't
producing much of anything. Two different nurseries and the same
results. Looking it up on the net evidently its the same fungus that
caused the Irish potato famine.

That's Late Blight. Apparently, this is the time of overlap of
Early Blight and Late Blight. Reading says that Late Blight is
nastier.

As yet (to my knowledge) I haven't had to deal with either.

Of course, this is also my first year for Tomato Leaf Spot. So who
knows what the future will bring me?

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? ) is
doing well at least. Cucumbers coming out our ears. Peppers and onions
doing great.

I have one tiny cucumber from 3 cages (~4 vines/cage). But lots
of new blossoms. I'm hoping for a first batch of dill pickles, and
a refresher of dill relish.

From SW PA

Western Ohio (Dayton-ish).

--