Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoe blight

No tomatoes this year

Wiped out the cherry tomato plants and the larger varieties aren't
producing much of anything. Two different nurseries and the same
results. Looking it up on the net evidently its the same fungus that
caused the Irish potato famine.

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? ) is
doing well at least. Cucumbers coming out our ears. Peppers and onions
doing great.

From SW PA

John
Old 09-07-2014, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 18:43:14 -0400, John wrote:

No tomatoes this year

[snip]

My condolences!

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? )

[snip]

No roots? Perhaps cabbage root maggots? If so, next year you should cover them
with a floating row cover to keep the bugs away - at least until they get big
and tough enough to withstand the onslaught.

HTH-

Old 09-07-2014, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
John writes:
No tomatoes this year

Dead or just distressed?

My tomatoes got hit with leaf spot (Septoria). I *think* I've
treated it with copper sulfate, but a look two days after (when the
weather turned sunny) says it is pretty far along. I'll lose 2/3
- 3/4 of the current leaves. Hoping that an otherwise vigorous
variety will rebound.

I'll know better in about a month.

Wiped out the cherry tomato plants and the larger varieties aren't
producing much of anything. Two different nurseries and the same
results. Looking it up on the net evidently its the same fungus that
caused the Irish potato famine.

That's Late Blight. Apparently, this is the time of overlap of
Early Blight and Late Blight. Reading says that Late Blight is
nastier.

As yet (to my knowledge) I haven't had to deal with either.

Of course, this is also my first year for Tomato Leaf Spot. So who
knows what the future will bring me?

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? ) is
doing well at least. Cucumbers coming out our ears. Peppers and onions
doing great.

I have one tiny cucumber from 3 cages (~4 vines/cage). But lots
of new blossoms. I'm hoping for a first batch of dill pickles, and
a refresher of dill relish.

From SW PA

Western Ohio (Dayton-ish).

--
Drew Lawson Some men's dreams
for others turn to nightmares.
Old 15-07-2014, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/8/2014 6:43 PM, John wrote:
No tomatoes this year

Wiped out the cherry tomato plants and the larger varieties aren't
producing much of anything. Two different nurseries and the same
results. Looking it up on the net evidently its the same fungus that
caused the Irish potato famine.

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? ) is
doing well at least. Cucumbers coming out our ears. Peppers and onions
doing great.

From SW PA

John

I got some new cherry tomato plants (also Sweet 100) from the original
nursery after complaining and buying some zuc plants to put in their
place. They already have tomatoes started and really long straight
stems. The owner recommended in future that I prune the plant so that no
leaves can possibly touch the ground before actually planting them in
the garden. Sounds like a plan except that the plants are really tiny,
6" or less, when you buy them (in late May for this area) so that could
be a PITA until you can put them into the ground. When I retire in a
year or so maybe I will have the time to baby things along.

I have no idea what happened to the cabbage plants that grew no roots
but the others are doing well and should be ready mid/late fall - just
in time for fresh cabbage soup My mother passed on a great recipe for
it that came from her mother who emigrated from Eastern Europe. The
first cold weekend of the year is ideal for home made soup, especially
if most of the ingredients come from your garden.

Cukes, zucs, peppers, onions and really everything else is doing great
so I guess I shouldn't complain.

John
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/8/2014 6:43 PM, John wrote:
No tomatoes this year

Wiped out the cherry tomato plants and the larger varieties aren't
producing much of anything. Two different nurseries and the same
results. Looking it up on the net evidently its the same fungus that
caused the Irish potato famine.

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? ) is
doing well at least. Cucumbers coming out our ears. Peppers and onions
doing great.

From SW PA

John

As a followup some of the tomato plants rebounded, horribly gnarled
stems and all, and are actually producing a lot of fruit, all getting
ripe at the same time of course! The large tomatoes are actually very
tiny, about golf ball sized (?) but pretty good eating.

Hungarian wax hot peppers just love it here, canned 24 quarts of pepper
rings yesterday. Still plenty out there but need a few more weeks to get
large enough to pick. I only put in 4 dozen plants and should get that
many quarts when done. We have also made a pepper, olive, garlic & spice
mix in oil. Great as a side with a lunch time sandwich.

Bell peppers doing very well too but not quite ready yet. Best (I think)
when the fruit just begins to turn red, a good mix of crisp green &
sweet red.

Cukes & zucs are done except for some late planted zucs just beginning
to produce.

The few onions I planted are either gone for green onions or overgrown
by other plants. What is left I will leave to winter after the peppers
are done and the plants pulled.

A small garden in SW PA,

John

Tomatoe blight belto United Kingdom 10 28-09-2006 08:41 AM
Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
How big should my tomatoe plants be ? (by now) James Bass Gardening 3 28-05-2003 02:08 PM
cherry/grape tomatoe good for container garden? Two x over Edible Gardening 7 27-05-2003 05:56 AM
Blue Tomatoes/Blue tomatoe seeds old whats his name Edible Gardening 2 23-04-2003 06:32 AM