Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge growth - what time of year?

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:23:58 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 09/07/2014 22:13, Uncle Peter wrote:
I'm drastically cutting back an overgrown hedge. Can I expect it to
grow more leaves this time of year, or does it do this only in spring?

If it matters, someone called it a Rhododendron, although I thought they
had lots of flowers and mine doesn't.

It does look a bit like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...k_-_591783.jpg

If necessary I can take a picture of mine.

A couple of pics would help, one like the one you showed and one closer
up showing a few leaves and the bud at the end of a stem would help.
If you cut back now it will throw new shoots, but they will be soft
going into winter so will me more prone to damage if we have a hard
winter.
Also saying where you are would help, different for Cornwall as opposed
to Scotland.

I'm in Scotland, but it's a very tough hedge, unlike the evergreen ones
that all died out.

I just want to know how long before it greens over as I've cut it back
severely and I can now see through it.

Here are two pictures of it (the bit I've not cut yet obviously):
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge.jpg
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge%20close.jpg

Usually takes about 6 weeks if its cut to the point where there are no
leaves left.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs