Old 09-07-2014, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge growth - what time of year?

I'm drastically cutting back an overgrown hedge. Can I expect it to grow more leaves this time of year, or does it do this only in spring?

If it matters, someone called it a Rhododendron, although I thought they had lots of flowers and mine doesn't.

It does look a bit like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...k_-_591783.jpg

If necessary I can take a picture of mine.

--
Always talk to your wife while you're making love -- if there's a phone handy.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2014 22:13, Uncle Peter wrote:
I'm drastically cutting back an overgrown hedge. Can I expect it to
grow more leaves this time of year, or does it do this only in spring?

If it matters, someone called it a Rhododendron, although I thought they
had lots of flowers and mine doesn't.

It does look a bit like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...k_-_591783.jpg

If necessary I can take a picture of mine.

A couple of pics would help, one like the one you showed and one closer
up showing a few leaves and the bud at the end of a stem would help.
If you cut back now it will throw new shoots, but they will be soft
going into winter so will me more prone to damage if we have a hard winter.
Also saying where you are would help, different for Cornwall as opposed
to Scotland.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
I'm drastically cutting back an overgrown hedge. Can I expect it to grow
more leaves this time of year, or does it do this only in spring?

If it matters, someone called it a Rhododendron, although I thought they
had lots of flowers and mine doesn't.

It does look a bit like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...k_-_591783.jpg

If necessary I can take a picture of mine.

--
Always talk to your wife while you're making love -- if there's a phone
handy.

Looks like Cherry Laurel to me, I have a big hedge of this and find the two
A's best for cutting (April & August)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-07-2014, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:23:58 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 09/07/2014 22:13, Uncle Peter wrote:
I'm drastically cutting back an overgrown hedge. Can I expect it to
grow more leaves this time of year, or does it do this only in spring?

If it matters, someone called it a Rhododendron, although I thought they
had lots of flowers and mine doesn't.

It does look a bit like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...k_-_591783.jpg

If necessary I can take a picture of mine.

A couple of pics would help, one like the one you showed and one closer
up showing a few leaves and the bud at the end of a stem would help.
If you cut back now it will throw new shoots, but they will be soft
going into winter so will me more prone to damage if we have a hard winter.
Also saying where you are would help, different for Cornwall as opposed
to Scotland.

I'm in Scotland, but it's a very tough hedge, unlike the evergreen ones that all died out.

I just want to know how long before it greens over as I've cut it back severely and I can now see through it.

Here are two pictures of it (the bit I've not cut yet obviously):
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge.jpg
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge%20close.jpg

--
Attila the Hun died during a bout of rough sex where his partner broke his nose causing a haemorrhage.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Usually takes about 6 weeks if its cut to the point where there are no
leaves left.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

6 weeks will be fine. So it does actually grow at this time of year? I thought maybe it would grow in spring only.

--
"O'Ryan," asked the druggist, "did that mudpack I gave you improve your wife's appearance?"
"It did, surely," replied O'Ryan, "but it keeps fallin' off!"
Old 11-07-2014, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Sorry but the pics wont open and are getting listed as a malicious web site.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:23:58 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

[...]

Oh not another person with that malwarebytes crap? It's a jpeg image which cannot possibly be harmful. Only executable files are harmful.

--
A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat.
"Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?"
Old 11-07-2014, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I have also placed them in alt.binaries.test, subject Hedge.

--
Rescuers in Pakistan today reported rescuing a man from the rubble.
They became aware when they heard a faint voice saying "we're still open".
Old 11-07-2014, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 10/07/2014 23:06, Uncle Peter wrote:
Here are two pictures of it (the bit I've not cut yet obviously):
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge.jpg
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge%20close.jpg

Sorry but the pics wont open and are getting listed as a malicious web site.

Opened OK with me, no mention of malware etc. I'm using Kaspersky AV
and Dangerous Website Blocker, Bitdefender Traffic Light, and WOT (Web
Of Trust).

It's Anti-malwarebytes or whatever you call it. It thinks everything is harmful. As I said, a jpeg simply cannot be harmful. It's completely impossible.

--
The chance of a piece of bread falling down on its buttered side is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 10/07/2014 23:06, Uncle Peter wrote:
Here are two pictures of it (the bit I've not cut yet obviously):
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge.jpg
http://petersphotos.com/temp/Hedge%20close.jpg

Sorry but the pics wont open and are getting listed as a malicious web site.

Opened OK with me, no mention of malware etc. I'm using Kaspersky AV
and Dangerous Website Blocker, Bitdefender Traffic Light, and WOT (Web
Of Trust).

It's Anti-malwarebytes or whatever you call it. It thinks everything is harmful. As I said, a jpeg simply cannot be harmful. It's completely impossible.

Perhaps you need to look at this.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms04-028

"This update resolves a newly-discovered, privately reported
vulnerability. A buffer overrun vulnerability exists in the processing
of JPEG image formats that could allow remote code execution on an
affected system."

Of course sites may be listed as malicious because of content other
than that which you think is on there. Your site may be sharing a
server with other sites which are malicious.
--
Phil Cook
Old 11-07-2014, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Anyone browsing the web with Internet Explorer is an idiot and will already have 50 billion viruses. A jpeg is an image and if it's treated any other way the programmer should be fired and imprisoned.

--
What advice don't you want to hear from a doctor before an operation?
"Whatever you do, don't go into the light."