Old 13-07-2014, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
philgurr philgurr is offline

Default Didn't know they grew in this country

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 13/07/2014 09:12, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

It probably is more likely to have the correct growing conditions than other places.
http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apricot-trees

The Victorians grew apricots abundantly in their walled
gardens and I have grown them in a similar situation in
Northamptonshire. I now grow them under glass in the
north of Scotland and have just started picking them.
British grown apricots are far superior to those bought
in supermarkets. They are generaly larger, jucier and
sweeter and because they take longer to mature, they
have a much better flavour.

Ardmhor