Old 14-07-2014, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Didn't know they grew in this country

On 13/07/2014 18:29, philgurr wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 13/07/2014 09:12, 'Mike' wrote:
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/apri...ard-61727.aspx

or is it just the Isle of Wight?

It probably is more likely to have the correct growing conditions than other places.
http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apricot-trees

The Victorians grew apricots abundantly in their walled
gardens and I have grown them in a similar situation in
Northamptonshire. I now grow them under glass in the
north of Scotland and have just started picking them.
British grown apricots are far superior to those bought
in supermarkets. They are generaly larger, jucier and
sweeter and because they take longer to mature, they
have a much better flavour.

But this situation is different. It refers to 4500 trees growing in a
22 acre orchard, neither in a walled garden nor under glass. That must
be pretty unique for apricots in the UK, and I doubt that there are many
other situations in the country where the conditions are similar - few
late frosts to damage the blossom and long hours of sunshine to ripen
the fruit.

Interestingly, the article does refer to his being among "the first in
the country". I wonder where the others are?

--

Jeff