Old 15-07-2014, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John John is offline

Default Tomatoe blight

On 7/8/2014 6:43 PM, John wrote:
No tomatoes this year

Wiped out the cherry tomato plants and the larger varieties aren't
producing much of anything. Two different nurseries and the same
results. Looking it up on the net evidently its the same fungus that
caused the Irish potato famine.

Everything else (except cabbage, lost 1/2 the plants, no roots? ) is
doing well at least. Cucumbers coming out our ears. Peppers and onions
doing great.

From SW PA

John

I got some new cherry tomato plants (also Sweet 100) from the original
nursery after complaining and buying some zuc plants to put in their
place. They already have tomatoes started and really long straight
stems. The owner recommended in future that I prune the plant so that no
leaves can possibly touch the ground before actually planting them in
the garden. Sounds like a plan except that the plants are really tiny,
6" or less, when you buy them (in late May for this area) so that could
be a PITA until you can put them into the ground. When I retire in a
year or so maybe I will have the time to baby things along.

I have no idea what happened to the cabbage plants that grew no roots
but the others are doing well and should be ready mid/late fall - just
in time for fresh cabbage soup My mother passed on a great recipe for
it that came from her mother who emigrated from Eastern Europe. The
first cold weekend of the year is ideal for home made soup, especially
if most of the ingredients come from your garden.

Cukes, zucs, peppers, onions and really everything else is doing great
so I guess I shouldn't complain.

John