Old 15-07-2014, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Didn't know they grew in this country

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 08:38:04 -0700, wardjfb wrote:

There are new varieties that flower later. Traditionally they flower in
February and don't get enough pollinators and risk frost. In our last
house we only had one crop in 18 years. When we moved here,
Warwickshire,
we planted one of the new varieties and we get a good crop of very juicy
apricots the size of peaches every year. They should be ready in a
couple of weeks. It is against a wall though.

We tried one that we were told would grow here (climate is much like
Devon). In 15 years never a fruit, finally it succumbed to an illness and
I took it out. Wasn't against a wall though. Peaches on the other hand
we do quite well with, a white variety called Mme Girard, which is on a
south facing wall. Looks like a good crop this year.

Congratulations on your apricots, they're one of my favorite fruits,
lovely. The season is pretty much done here on the market, although
it was a poor year for apricots even in the south. The best source for
French apricots is the Drome department, where they grow at altitude.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy