Old 19-07-2014, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Harvesting Potatoes, Sweet and Regular

Pavel314 wrote:
We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I
harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the
pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of
the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if
not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I
find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few
tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat
quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

I start outside of where I think they are, then push under the potatoes and
lever them up with the tines of the fork. As I go further in, I continue to try
to push the fork in from outside angleing under the tubers before lifting.