Old 18-07-2014, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harvesting Potatoes, Sweet and Regular

We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

Paul
Old 18-07-2014, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I
harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the
pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of
the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if
not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I
find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few
tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat
quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

Paul

I'm new to the tater scene , but years ago I read about a method using
tires . Stack 'em up and fill with mulch as the tater plants grow . I have
modified that method to use extra tomato cages* , piling up straw as the
plants grow . Mine all now have at least 18-24 inches of straw in the cages
and I need more straw . I was concerned about exposing the potatoes to light
, but that hasn't happened , and if it does I'll wrap them with either black
plastic or tarpaper .
--
Snag
* I bought a roll of concrete rewire to make cages for the tomatoes with the

Old 18-07-2014, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Friday, July 18, 2014 9:40:08 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

I've heard of the straw method but never tried it; good luck with that. A few years ago I made a cage of hardware cloth, put potatoes at the bottom and covered with rich, loose soil. As the plants grew, I added more dirt, layer after layer. We kept up with the watering, too. After the plants died back, I opened the cage and found only three or four potatoes inside. Not sure what went wrong; I'll have to try again.

Paul
Old 18-07-2014, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

i'm not a potato grower, but the other day
someone mentioned to me that they grow theirs
by putting the potato starts under hay bales
so that when they are done they just pull the
bales back and the potatoes are right there.

songbird
Old 18-07-2014, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/18/2014 8:40 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

I did that same thing years ago, made a bunch of tomato cages out of
heavy duty concrete wire, they were three feet in diameter, they lasted
over twenty-five years and two moves. One year I tried the tater thing
by planting the potatoes in the bottom of the cage, then layering oak
leaves, of which we always had plenty, up to about four feet. Had the
same problem other folks had, two or three taters down in the dirt,
nothing above but a really long, skinny tater vine. Hope it works for
you, I never tried it again.

George

Old 18-07-2014, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

Did your potato plants blossom ? I've been told they have to bloom before
they'll make taters . I still pretty new to a lot of this stuff , and I'm
growing stuff I've never tried /been successful at .

--
Snag

Old 18-07-2014, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

See my reply to Pavel blooming .

--
Snag

Old 19-07-2014, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I
harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the
pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of
the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if
not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I
find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few
tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat
quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

Paul

--

My method is to locate the above ground part of the plant first. For taters
this is the stem. For the sweet tater I grow it is the node on the vine.

I then place the fork about 25-30cm (10in-12in) back from it and push down
the full depth levering out a large clod. Usually this will expose the
tuber cluster. I then put the fork underneath and lever up pulling the
spuds out as they become visible. If the cluster seems very prolific I
might do this several times. I rarely spike one. It helps to dig when the
soil is medium dry not wet as it will clod but not be sticky.

Another clue to location with standard taters is the new tubers will be
nearly all at the same depth that you planted the seed tater. I plant in
trenches and backfill as they grow back to ground level, so I know how deep
the trench was. With sweets the tater grows vertically down from the node,
the depth of the bottom of it depends on the size. The diameter of the top
will give a clue as to size.

David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

Old 19-07-2014, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:
We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I
harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the
pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of
the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if
not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I
find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few
tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat
quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

I start outside of where I think they are, then push under the potatoes and
lever them up with the tines of the fork. As I go further in, I continue to try
to push the fork in from outside angleing under the tubers before lifting.

Old 20-07-2014, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pavel314 wrote:

[...]

I don't remember if they blossomed or not, it's been a few years. If I try that again, I'll watch for blossoms.

Paul

Old 20-07-2014, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 18/07/2014 10:34 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

I just use my gloved hands and bandicoot harvest as I need spuds IF I'm
growing in good friable soil.

If the soil is not so good I use a fork and shove it down the side of
the bed in one spot and work on form there as I need more spuds in the
kitchen. I know where I've harvested because I leave a hole and keep
workign onwards from where I started.

And potatoes don't need to produce a good lot of flowers to produce
spuds - as far as I'm concerned there is no correlation between flower
numbers and spud numbers.

Old 20-07-2014, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
[...]

I can't think of any direct conection either. At a general level perhaps
good flowering might indicate a healthy plant that stands a chance of good
tubers but that's about all. Strong tops are required for strong tubers but
not sufficient, that is you can get good tops with few taters but you can't
get good taters from poor tops.

If you are thinking of breeding your own cultivar then flowers do become
important.