Old 20-07-2014, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Harvesting Potatoes, Sweet and Regular

On 18/07/2014 10:34 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
We grow some potatoes in the garden every year and every year I harvest them the same way. I start at the edge of the bed and put the pitchfork down about 3-4 inches, then I flip up the dirt in front of the prongs. If there are potatoes there, they go into the basket, if not, I keep moving on, stabbing and flipping along the row until I find something. No matter how careful I am, I generally impale a few tubers in the process. Not a big loss, we put those in the "eat quick" pile and store the rest in the cellar.

Does anyone have a better way to harvest them?

I just use my gloved hands and bandicoot harvest as I need spuds IF I'm
growing in good friable soil.

If the soil is not so good I use a fork and shove it down the side of
the bed in one spot and work on form there as I need more spuds in the
kitchen. I know where I've harvested because I leave a hole and keep
workign onwards from where I started.

And potatoes don't need to produce a good lot of flowers to produce
spuds - as far as I'm concerned there is no correlation between flower
numbers and spud numbers.